A slow day.
Stoking the fire.I felt a return to the holy cremation site on the Bagmati River at Pashupatinath was warranted. Actually, I was as much bored as anything else. I also wondered if some special ceremony might occur if I returned.
Well, I got a bit lucky. A 65 year old women from a very wealthy business family had expired at the Hospital and the van was just offloading her when I arrived. It was obvious that this would be a special ceremony and I was able to view it from the start.
Feet in the holy river water for 15 minutes or so followed by the washing of the body with holy river water. I would imagine that those are the grandchildren by her side.
The husband gets his head shaved. A Hindu ritual, one of many, that the head of family male will perform during the next 30 or so days. Note the left hand of the barber ... one small tuft of hair will be left standing. That Hindu thing again.
Carry to the pyre. Note the guy at the front. He was referred to as "The Brahmin". I guess that makes him the head funeral director for the wealthy side. He was MOST obnoxious and his face looked like it had wandered into the flames of a burning for an extended period. However, because of his lofty caste position, he wielded great authority.
Pyre, built and ready to go. The little white sticks are sandalwood, which, I am told, burns very hot.
Peaceful.
Lightoff. Good Journey.
I imagine this will be my last visit to Pashupatinath. I don't wish to dwell too much on death. This experience does force one to focus on one's own mortality. But excess is rarely a good thing. I hope my pictures and commentary have given the proper flavor to this place in the eyes of the reader.
Feet in the holy river water for 15 minutes or so followed by the washing of the body with holy river water. I would imagine that those are the grandchildren by her side.
The husband gets his head shaved. A Hindu ritual, one of many, that the head of family male will perform during the next 30 or so days. Note the left hand of the barber ... one small tuft of hair will be left standing. That Hindu thing again.Note the white linen clothing worn by the husband. He had started out in Western type shirt and trousers but the ritual required the change of clothing.
Note my Brahmin buddy in the foreground. I just didn't like this guy from the first.
Carry to the pyre. Note the guy at the front. He was referred to as "The Brahmin". I guess that makes him the head funeral director for the wealthy side. He was MOST obnoxious and his face looked like it had wandered into the flames of a burning for an extended period. However, because of his lofty caste position, he wielded great authority.
Pyre, built and ready to go. The little white sticks are sandalwood, which, I am told, burns very hot.
Peaceful.
Lightoff. Good Journey.I imagine this will be my last visit to Pashupatinath. I don't wish to dwell too much on death. This experience does force one to focus on one's own mortality. But excess is rarely a good thing. I hope my pictures and commentary have given the proper flavor to this place in the eyes of the reader.

No comments:
Post a Comment