Prakesh and his family were VERY interested in US politics. That has been a constant theme around here. One of the pictures does indeed show Prakesh's older sister reading a biography of Barack Obama. There was just enough English to make it interesting but not so much that any one person dominated. And the beer was cold.
They had some USDs that they had been unable to exchange because the nearest bank was 2 hrs away in Bharatpur. They had accepted them from some tourists as payment at the shop (at a premium I imagine). They seemed very pleased when I accepted their offer to give them NRs (Nepali Rupees) for the USDs. It was a small thing but saved them a lot of hassle! Of course, this left me 2 hrs from the nearest bank with no NRs in my pocket, all on back roads. After a few Ghorka beers, who cares.
An old woman wandered by (@ 80 yrs) and was on her way to church. Uh, you mean temple, right? No, she is Christian and was going to church. I missed asking how that happened and where is this Christian church out in the boonies? Perhaps when I return. And I will likely return. They were such nice and enjoyable people. There is elephant polo coming soon to the airport, which is now closed for the season. I'll be back.
These are very poor people by our standards but they don't realize that. It was one of those "trail magic" days that you can't make happen. You let it come to you!
2 comments:
Hope all is well Jim. I have been keeping up with your adventure. Great pictures!
Bob
Jim, this Ghorka beer must be good you mentioned it a couple of times. Is it non-alcoholic??? :)
Dennis
Post a Comment