On the way, it was not unusual to navigate around herds and flocks of varying species of animals. These water buffalo are quite large. It is common to tie an animal (water buffalo, goat, etc) to a stake driven into the ground on the side of the road, with just enough slack in the rope to keep the animal off the road. It can then graze at will for free. When it has cleared an area, the stake is moved. Of course, there are times when the animal wishes to move and takes the stake with him. This leads to the wandering animal. The other day, I saw an old woman leading a large water buffalo around by a rope that passed through the nostrils of this big guy. I guess he wasn't doing as instructed so this lady started beating him over the head with the ubiquitous stick/prod. She was dwarfed in both size and weight by this guy, but she didn't miss a beat. It was clear as to who was in charge.
Sauraha is a small town on the Rapti River that is the central collection point for tourists wishing to visit the Chitwan National Park. I arrived in Sauraha just as the elephants were heading for the barn. I probably saw a large part of the fleet.
I had seen a newspaper picture of the Rapti River that had over run its banks and engulfed a favored watering hole during the recent heavy rains. The water had receded but the water was still running high. I didn't think to take a picture. Oh well.Speaking of newspapers, there are two that are delivered to the house each morning. The Kathmandu Post and The Himalayan Times. They both have E versions. Simply search the names and you should find them. THT is the better E version but you can easily find KP's editorial page, which may be of interest. The written English is worth the read!
Anyhow, there is still no flying. The MoA continues its policy of graft and Shivani Air likely has not the means to pay. What a shame.
No comments:
Post a Comment