Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Visit to Swayambhu (Monkey Temple)

Women, dressed in red, on their way to Pashupatinath (a large sacred Hindu temple complex on the East side of Kathmandu) to celebrate TEEJ. TEEJ is a Hindu holiday where the women fast for 24 hrs, dance, and pray for the longevity and good health of your husband. Well, all right then. Now you're talking!

Actually, all kidding aside, I find no humor in this celebration. In this patriarchal society, there is no comparable celebration for the women, who are considered more as slaves and property. The woman's fate is tied directly to the husband. If the wife loses her husband, regardless of the circumstances, her life is effectively over. You are reminded of this frequently out on the street. So, sure the women pray for their husbands health, regardless of his worthiness of such benedictions.

The news reported the crowd at 300,000 + at the temple. I decided to go the next day and, instead, head to Swayambhu, aka Monkey Temple, located on the West side of town. I always walk to these places. This gets me out on the streets and allows me exposure to "the culture". Not always a good thing.

Long climb up on a hot day. It is a LOT steeper than it looks.

That fascinating all purpose Russian pull thing again. I should have one of these!

Prayer wheels. Hope they work.

They don't call it the Monkey Temple for nothing. I had heard many reports of tourists being attacked and bitten by these guys. They didn't bother me, perhaps because I looked capable of biting back and likely to do so.







Ice Cream vendor with monkey and Kathmandu in the background.

I imagine that there is great religious significance to this temple, as there is to all Hindu Temples. Quite frankly, I am all templed out, churched out, museumed out, etc. I just don't have the interest.

I made the pilgrimage to Swayambhu because I was bored and all the Nepalis ask if you have been there. Well, yeah, I was there in 1973 with the same level of interest. I wanted the exercise of the walk but that puts me out on the street to view the filth, poverty, and hopelessness that is engendered by the Hindu religion and the Nepali government. It is better that you not ask how I really feel!

Please keep in mind that much my cynicism and skepticism is likely due to my extensive exposure to and experience with this culture in the early 70's. A long time ago, admittedly. But little, if anything, has changed. Perhaps I will write more when I am less pissed off.

1 comment:

Neighbor and Chickety said...

as you may also know, those monkeys will rob you of anything they can can their hands on!