
Warning: Nostalgia Alarm You have been warned.
I had been in Katmandu for 9 days and had seen NO Pie Shops. When I am here in 1973, one of the main missions was to go to Pie Shop and have pie. Real American pie (apple, strawberry, whatever you wanted). You travel halfway around the world for pie. No Pie Shop but I did find The Pipe Shop on Freak Street. See picture.
So, I am in a bookstore and reading a book about the history of Katmandu in the early 1970's and it referred to Freak Street, Pie Shops, and "Chai Chillum & Chapati". It all became clear to me. I have been in the NEW tourist section called Thamel. The OLD tourist section, called Dosai, was some distance on the other side of town. So, off I went to find the much missed and greatly revered Pie Shops. The short version is that the Pie Shops are no longer. Freak Street is still there. And that will lead you to the "CCC". Chai, Chillum (the Ganga, mon) and Chapati (cheap locally baked wafer bread).
No comments:
Post a Comment