Sunday, June 14, 2009

Jungles and Tigers

Today is SUN. This morning, Karl and I went to the Simara Airport and back. Looks easy enough. Not really. In fact, I found it very challenging indeed. The language, procedures, lack of complete approach plates, non-radar environment, poor controllers, well the list doesn't stop. Complicated by my unfamiliarity with those procedures that do exist, well, you see the point!

I had not foreseen that the flight would take us directly across the Royal Chitwan National Park. The practice area that I mentioned on FRI is bordered by the Rapti and Narayani Rivers. From the point of confluence of these two large rivers, start North to Bharatpur and that defines our practice area. Our students are instructed to NOT cross either river due to jungle and terrain considerations when flying solo and not X-C. It was along the Rapti River on FRI that we saw the 3 wild elephants.

OK. FF to today. I guess I should have known that the Park was ALL jungle. The appreciation for one's aircraft engine's continued operation soared when I considered the emergency landing possibilities. Holy Cow. They have Tigers down there and, I bet, all the other wildlife that goes along with such things. And, there are NO open spaces except for the numerous dry riverbeds that likely attract the previously mentioned wildlife.

I have relearned the art of riding a motorcycle. Disclaimer: I do not recommend this activity! But it is the only alternative to effectively get around. These are large bikes. The norm here. Smaller bikes are rarely seen. Riding here is not for the faint of heart. I had to dodge a few water buffalo today.

Anyhow, after the IFR to Simara, I was to fly with my fist student. We met, briefed, preflighted and closed the door on schedule. MX had mentioned the possibility of a weak battery. Beware when MX "mentions" things. You move the checklist quickly to get in the air, where you have a fighting chance to survive. Glass is not your friend! So, we crank and get nothing, ala a dead battery. So, we wait for an EPU (External Power Unit aka Power Cart) to be brought out. Again nothing. The Battery is beyond hope and nearly, us as well.

So, my two students for today are CX. Tomorrow, I go for three. My time utilization is getting better because, DID I MENTION THAT IT IS HOT & HUMID! The extent to which this affects your operation is amazing.

I'm working on pics. Be patient.

No comments: