On WED, after an excruciatingly painful bus ride from Katmandu, I arrived at Bharatpur. I think that is the correct spelling. The Shivani Air web site stated 13 km East of KTM. The map shows a city with a name close to this at that location. So, I was expecting a short bus ride. What I got was a 6 hour, 146 km journey Southwest of KTM, approaching the Indian border. But as we descended off the KTM plateau, it became hot. Not uncomfortable hot but dangerous hot and humid. It all came back to me. I had forgotten how bad it gets. At least I finally found the airport.
There seemed to be an expectation that I would get off the bus and into an airplane. Take me the hospital, not the ramp.
So WED was spent moving into my new home. It actually is quite nice and comes with a guard, maid, and cook. There are three very nice motorcycles and no car. There are two vans/trucks (flight school vehicles) that will transport me on request. And they drive on the Left, just as in the UK! So, I will be getting checked out on the bikes, if for no other reason, to get the breeze. Did I mention that it was HOT and HUMID!
I would post some pics but there are computer issues here that will require time to resolve.
Anyhow, I did an orientation flight this afternoon with Karl, the instructor who has been here for one year and is anxious to go home. The WX did not support an IFR flight so I will do that on SUN (SAT is an off day). They wanted me to do an Instrument Rating Exam today, ignoring the fact that I have not flown IFR here. There is some conflict in regard to the lack of understanding the realities of the challenges faced. Also on SUN, I will fly with my first basic students.
Karl is a young instructor from Seattle and is very good. He has all this stuff figured out and is a valuable resourse.
Today, we buzzed some elaphants. You won't do that every day.
The Air Services Controllers don't give much service. You are on your own out here.
I am out of time. Will update later.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment