Friday, June 5, 2009

Moutain Flight

Well, I got up early and made it to the airport for the Mountain Flight. I now know a bit more. It operates out of the Domestic Terminal (aka the cesspool). Ugh! Customer service was not a priority (heck, let's just say there is none!) but we did make it out to the airplane by 0800 for the 0630 flight. It is the custom to send a Yeti Airlines Merlin off first to test the WX waters. He radioed back that at 23000 ft (FL230), he was still in the clouds. Their Merlin is limited to FL230 and can go no higher. It is a less capable aircraft. Our B1900D is certified to FL250 (although those of us who have flown it know it will go higher) but it was felt that the chance of good visibility was small, so the decision was to CX (common during Monsoon). Oh well. Come back tomorrow! And I will and I will report back.

The CAAN continues to shuffle my paper work from one corrupt minister to the next, thus justifying the need for Ministers. Designated Shivani Air personnel go to the Aviation Ministry each day and wait. Only to be told to come back tomorrow. I offer each day to go in person and they decline my offer. Perhaps they fear that my Western intolerance for this rubbish will manifest itself in an unseemly way. It is clear that the Ministry needs help solving their problems. And I am here to help. Meanwhile, I stay here, bored, in Katmandu. I am told maybe MON. We shall see. I am relearning the concept of Nepali Time. I don't mean time zones. You MUST add at least 1 hour (or more) to the time that a Nepali has stated. It is the way. Of course, I have threatened to go on Nepali Time, as well. When I am scheduled to fly, perhaps I will show up, maybe not.

After returning to the hotel I met an Austrailian expat who flies Dornier 228s for the smallest of the commuters, Sita Air. It was very informative. He has invited me along for a flight to Lukla, a staging area for Everest Base Camp. I have done some reading on this. While I think there is at least one other airport at a higher elevation on the way to Base Camp, Lukla is, by far, the scariest. I will take it under advisement.

Well, that's my day. Beats working! Now, where is that Ghorka Beer?

No comments: